Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Treasurer Position

Wendy Nichols

I’m Wendy Nichols and my husband Brett will be graduating in 2011. We’re from Salt Lake City. I have a BS from Weber State University. I am a nurse at an emergent care clinic for uninsured/underserved populations. I served a medical mission to Ecuador where I met my husband. We have two daughters: Katie, 3 years, and Amanda, 1 ½. I enjoy reading, scrapbooking, card-making, sewing, and crafts. My dream would be to have more time to dedicate to them! I love playing outdoors with my girls and exploring new places. We love getting to know other law families!

My name is Wendy Nichols. I am running for Treasurer on the Law Partners board. I have been involved with Law Partners for two years, serving this year as Vice President, and I’m very excited for another great year. I’ve gained valuable experience about the workings of Law Partners by corroborating with other board members, learning about the budget and finances of the organization, and trying to meet the changing needs of our members. Most importantly, I’ve gained many friends and associations through meeting other Law Partners and members of the legal community. I believe this is a group that can strengthen and serve one another, lift each other through difficult times, celebrate many successes, learn from one another, and make our experience here at the J. Reuben Clark Law School uplifting and positive. If I could improve one thing about Law Partners in the coming year, it would be to increase these personal connections between members. The heart of our group lies in learning from those around us and knowing that we are having similar experiences. These new friendships can lend great strength and create bonds that hopefully last a lifetime.

Lynda Stratford

I’m Lynda Stratford. I’m from Mesa, AZ and lived there my whole life until I went on a mission to Taipei, Taiwan. Three months after I returned home I started attending BYU studying Chinese. I met my husband Robert while we were taking the same class and we got married almost a year later. We lived in China for one year before receiving our undergrad degrees. We have a baby boy, Simon, who was born in June 2008. Robert will graduate in 2012 and we expect that our family will eventually return to China on a more permanent basis.

I may have lived in Provo for close to seven years now, but this past year is the first time that I’ve really started to feel like a part of a community, especially since being married. I love what Law Partners offers to spouses of law students. I want to help others feel like a part of this community. I think I can reach out to other “law partners” that haven’t seen all the great things this group has to offer. As treasurer I can do all these things and make use of my talents with numbers and money. After all, I worked at a bank for 5 years :) I know there have been new changes to the schedule this year but I don’t know what it was like before. I do think the activities and forums and dinner group have been great. The biggest change I would work on is to reach out to more spouses. I don’t feel like the blog or google group reach out to enough of them and I know a lot of them don’t even know about Law Partners. With greater turn out I know the activities and community will be even better.

No comments: